At Bayer Animal Health, we believe that taking care of the well-being of animals is the right thing to do and that it goes hand-in-hand with the health of animals.
Every day, we witness the remarkable commitment swine professionals have in ensuring that their animals are healthy and well cared for. But we also see the challenges they face. This is why Bayer Animal Health is committed to support them in their efforts to advance swine well-being.
We also believe that advancing the well-being of animals requires collaboration, commitment and support, as farming practices evolve to meet the demands of a changing world.
In collaboration with the Farm Animal Welfare Education Centre (FAWEC) of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), the Korean Association of Swine Veterinarians (KASV) and the Brazilian Association of Swine Veterinary Specialists (ABRAVES), we are looking for swine professionals around the world who are innovating in pig well-being and husbandry.
What is Care4Pigs?
Care4Pigs is a Bayer Animal Health grant initiative that further builds on its strong commitment to advancing animal well-being. It is a global initiative that provides the tools and resources for innovators in swine well-being and enables Bayer Animal Health to offer direct and targeted support for farmers and veterinarians. Through Care4Pigs we want to help facilitate the initiation or continuation of innovative and practice-oriented ways to advance swine well-being on farm.
Out of the received submissions, a panel of independent animal well-being experts from academia, as well as representatives of the partner associations and Bayer Animal Health, will select the projects that will receive funding.
Who should apply?
We are looking for swine professionals around the world who are passionate about advancing well-being and have an idea for new or better ways to further improve on-farm practices. These ideas should be transferable and applicable to many farms, benefiting more than just one operation.
Applications are welcomed from:
- Swine farmers and farm animal keepers
- Practicing veterinarians working closely with farmers to implement well-being advancements
- Graduate students and researchers in veterinary medicine, animal or agricultural science
Share your ideas with us!
How do I apply?
If you are passionate about your idea or project, apply now by completing the online submission form below. The Bayer Animal Health Care4Pigs grant initiative can offer the funding and knowledge to help turn your fresh ideas into reality.
- Complete the online submission form below
- Attach a project proposal (max. 5 pages) outlining: Title of Project; Introduction (give context to the issue being tackled, objective of the project and expected outcome, and impact on swine well-being); Materials and Methods (walk us through the execution of the project and how the grant would be used); Timeline (indicate the planned start and end of the project); Optional: Add images and pictures related to the project.
- Submit only via the online submission form by 31st July 2020
Applications should be submitted through the contact form at the bottom of this page by 31st July 2020. We have included a submission guide which may be helpful for structuring your project proposal.
Winners will be announced in Quarter 4 of 2020 and will be contacted directly by Bayer Animal Health.
1. What is the Care4Pigs Grant?
Care4Pigs is a global Bayer Animal Health initiative that aims to support innovative-thinking livestock professionals by helping facilitate the initiation or continuation of practice-oriented ways to advance swine well-being on farm level. The Care4Pigs initiative is part of Bayer Animal Health’s commitment to advance animal well-being globally. Care4Pigs is organized in collaboration with the Farm Animal Welfare Education Centre (FAWEC) of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), the Korean Association of Swine Veterinarians (KASV) and the Brazilian Association of Swine Veterinary Specialists (ABRAVES).
2. How will the grant winners be selected?
The grant winners will be determined by a jury. The jury consists of a panel of independent animal well-being experts from academia and the public sector, as well as representatives of the partner associations and Bayer Animal Health.
3. What will the winners receive?
The total volume of the Care4Pigs grant is €30,000, to be awarded as up to three grants of €10,000 each. Additionally, successful candidates can benefit from the knowledge, links and networks of the partner associations and the expertise held within Bayer Animal Health.
4. Who is eligible to apply?
The application for the grant is open to individuals aged 18 and above who have a clear and practical connection to swine farming – farmers, farm animal keepers, practicing veterinarians, researchers or graduate students in veterinary, animal or agricultural science. Institutions, e.g. university, research foundation, veterinary clinic, which are duly represented by an individual may apply for the grant. Bayer Animal Health employees and their family members are excluded. Please refer to the Care4Pigs terms and conditions for more details.
5. What is the deadline for submissions?
Applicants can send in their submissions at www.Care4Pigs.com by 31st July 2020.
6. Do applicants retain the intellectual rights to the submitted project?
Yes, the applicant retains all proprietary rights, in particular copyrights relating to any images or videos submitted in the context of the application. However, by submitting a project proposal, applicants agree to allow Bayer Animal Health, appointed associates and partner organizations to reproduce, publish and use project related material and information.
7. Can applicants submit more than one project?
Applicants may submit as many projects as they wish.
8. Can I submit a project to upgrade my own farm or facilities?
The Care4Pigs grant is intended to support projects that can benefit a wide range of operations and farms, contributing to the improvement of health and well-being of pigs. In this sense, project that will only benefit one specific farm will not be considered by the jury.
9. What will the jury look for in a project?
The Care4Pigs jury will assess submissions based on their innovative approach, impact on swine well-being, on-farm practicality and applicability through different systems and production conditions, economic viability, as well as added value to farming operations. Projects submitted must be already in the process of implementation or about to commence in the first quarter of 2021, with clearly defined project milestones.
10. What language(s) are accepted for submission?
Submissions in English are preferred. However, we can also consider submissions in other languages if necessary. Please reach out to your local Bayer Animal Health representative if you need assistance.
11. When will the grant recipients be announced? What happens after that?
The grant recipients will be announced in Quarter 4 of 2020. Bayer Animal Health will equip selected projects with grant support and follow-up with them on implementation milestones.
- The application for the grant is open to individuals aged 18 and above who have a clear and practical connection to swine farming – farmers, farm animal keepers, practicing veterinarians, researchers or graduate students in veterinary, animal or agricultural science. Institutions, e.g. university, research foundation, veterinary clinic, which are duly represented by an individual may apply for the grant.
- By submitting a project, applicants warrant that he/she is sole owner of any ideas/proposals and that submissions are made in line with applicable laws the applicant is subject to.
- Applicants can submit as many projects as they wish.
- Projects should not be linked with commercial interests. If the project is originated, sponsored by or linked to any company in the private sector, this must be fully disclosed in the application form.
- The grant will be paid directly to the applicant responsible for the project or to the institution that the applicant legally represents. A contract between the different parties will be signed to ensure all obligations are clear to all parties.
- Grant winners will be requested to submit an interim report on findings mid-way through the project, and a final report with the findings and conclusions.
- The grant can be used to fully or partially fund the research. The applicant is responsible for clarifying if the grant provided by Bayer Animal Health is not legally conflicting with other types of funding already in place for the research project.
- By submitting a project, applicants warrant that he/she owns all proprietary rights, in particular copyrights relating to any images or videos submitted in the context of the application. Applicants further agree to allow Bayer Animal Health GmbH and its affiliates (“Bayer Animal Health”), appointed associates and partner organizations as well as any legal successors or assignees to reproduce, publish and use project related material and information, including but not limited to such material internal and external publications (all media types) of Bayer Animal Health, in particular advertising material issued by Bayer Animal Health and communications activities around Care4Pigs and advancing animal well-being for an unlimited period and in an unlimited geographical area. Use of the Material on social networking websites such as Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Twitter etc. is permitted. Bayer Animal Health is allowed to grant sublicenses necessary to publish there. Accordingly, applicants acknowledge and agree that projects submitted by them may become public and open to third parties
- The project selection criteria will include: Innovative approach, Impact on swine well-being, On-farm practicality, Applicability through different systems and production conditions, Added value to farming operations and Economic viability.
- Applicants are required to submit a project proposal via the online submission form with a clearly defined scope, progress milestones and anticipated outcomes and impact.
- Projects submitted must be already in the process of implementation or to commence by the 1st Quarter of 2021, with clearly defined project milestones.
- Bayer Animal Health employees, their spouses and persons related to them in a first degree direct line or related to them directly collaterally are not eligible to apply for the grant.
- The Care4Pigs grant is a Bayer Animal Health initiative, supported by the Farm Animal Welfare Education Centre (FAWEC) of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), the Korean Association of Swine Veterinarians (KASV) and the Brazilian Association of Swine Veterinary Specialists (ABRAVES).
- Bayer Animal Health facilitates the selection process of the grant and finances the projects exclusively.
- The jury takes an independent and transparent decision which projects will receive funding.
- The jury will consist of independent animal well-being experts from academia, and the public sector as well representatives of the Care4Pigs partner associations and Bayer Animal Health.
- If no candidate meets the requisites of the Care4Pigs grant, Bayer Animal Health reserves the right not to grant the award at any stage.
- The grant may be disbursed by Bayer Animal Health to the respective projects according to progress milestones.
- Applicants must be legal adults in the applicant’s home country for which the participant holds a valid passport or permanent residency.
- Bayer Animal Health’s Care4Pigs initiative does not commit Bayer Animal Health to award a grant or to pay any costs incurred in the preparation of a request.
- Bayer Animal Health reserves the right to accept or reject any or all applications received as a result of the initiative or to cancel in part or in its entirety this initiative at any time without prior notification or permission.
- By submitting a project, applicants warrant that he/she is aware that the provided information will be regarded as, and deemed to be, non-confidential, and that Bayer Animal Health shall have no obligation of any kind with respect to such information.
- In addition, applicants consent to the storage and processing of personal data as provided in this application by Bayer Animal Health and the Care4Pigs jury for the purpose of evaluating this project.
- Applicants warrant that, to the best of their knowledge, their project is unique and there is nothing similar already implemented.
- The application must be submitted via Bayer Animal Health online submission form at www.Care4Pigs.com.